Monday, July 11, 2011

Carpe Diem (Try the Tomato Soup)

Carpe Diem.  Seize the day.  What a cool phrase.  But it is so much more than that.  It is a way of life to some.  For me, it is the only way.  I have always been a restless soul.  I love learning new things.  I love straying off the beaten path.  I love a challenge.  I love life. 
If you ask a random person to give you a brief explanation of what life entails, you’ll likely get something similar to this: “You’re born, you go to school, you get a job, you retire, you die.”  Yes, that is a very concise summary.  But for most people it is not very far from reality.  For me?  It is a protracted death sentence.  I cannot imagine anything more painful than not exploring life.  Life is finite.  It will end.  It is up to you to make the most of it. 
Let me back up and explain.  I understand that there are many things in life that must be done.  Breathing.  Eating.  Drinking.  Paying taxes.  Okay, some people manage to avoid the last one.  But here is what I am getting at…Many things we have no control over.  We must do them.  But, what about everything else?  What about the moments in between?  We are creatures of habit.  We adapt to routine.  We hide behind our comfort zone, the “same ol same ol.” 
But do we really have to?  No, we don’t.  Think about it.  We don’t have to drive to and from work the same way every day.  We do it because it’s convenient.  It is usually the quickest route.  It is comfortable.  It is the path of least resistance.  But at what cost?  What are you missing?  I am not suggesting you will find the secret of life by taking a different route.  But you will find something different. 
Unless I am constrained by time or circumstances, I typically take a different route to work each day.  I don’t go from BFE to Timbuktu, but I do take a different route.  It may be just a one block change.  But it is a change.  You would be surprised at what you may find by taking a different route.  Around every corner is something new. 
Of course, driving is but one example.  You can find dozens of things throughout your day to do different.  Here is a great example of how even I, Mr. Carpe Diem, failed to heed my own advice.  For ten years, I have been eating at Panera Bread Company.  My first experience with Panera was in law school when one was opened in the mall behind my apartment.  I became a regular there.  I quickly determined that the Bacon Turkey Bravo was my favorite sandwich.  But a sandwich does not a meal make.  Ah yes.  The sides.  Mine?  Baked potato chips, unsweetened iced tea, and, most importantly, macaroni and cheese.  I always ordered the “Pick Two” combo—half a sandwich and soup, salad, or mac-n-cheese. 
The macaroni and cheese at Panera is a large elbow noodle, sharp Vermont cheddar concoction.  It is divine. To me anyway.  After discovering this combination, I never strayed.  Not until a month ago.  After revealing that I was going  to Panera for my Saturday lunch ritual, a friend suggested I try the tomato soup for two reasons.  One, it is delicious.  Two, apparently, macaroni and cheese is kid’s food. 
I must admit, I was very offended by the “kid food” remark.  Where I grew up, mac-n-cheese was a staple.  In fact, I believe it was a key element on the food triangle.  Maybe I am exaggerating a bit.  But, most adults I know would not think twice about eating a good serving of mac-n-cheese.  Maybe my friend has images of the blue, cardboard box that delivered the first taste of mac-n-cheese to most of us.  I am going off on a tangent, but my point is this:  macaroni and cheese is good.  In fact, it is great when my Mom makes it. 
Despite my love for the M&C, I began to wonder how far I had strayed from my Carpe Diem motto.  It was decided then.  I would try the tomato soup at Panera on my next visit. 
I have a confession.  I did not even know Panera served a tomato soup.  Why?  Because I have not looked at their menu for ten years.  I actually love tomato soup.  My Mom used to make a great tomato soup that she often served with the best grilled cheese sandwiches.  As I approached the counter, I carefully rehearsed the order in my head.  It was quite a surreal experience.  But, I did it.  I managed to place my order without any mistakes.  Soon, my name was called out.  “Ray.”  “Order up for Ray.”  As I retrieved my plate from the counter, I could not help but feel as if I had mistakenly grabbed someone else’s order.  What is this?  Where is my Macaroni and cheese? 
With a sense of trepidation buried beneath my confident demeanor, I sat down and organized my meal as I had done nearly every week for the past ten years.  Sandwich.  Chips.  Mac-n-Cheese.  Wait.  Tomato soup?  Oh yeah.  Finally, the time arrived.  Just dig in, I told myself.  Lips sealed, hand trembling, I raised the spoon to my mouth.  Coaxing my lips open, I sampled the first taste of this alien side dish.  It…was…hmmm.  It was good.  No, it was delicious.  It was new.
Carpe diem. 

5 comments:

  1. It's funny how one little change in your life could trigger something big and unexpected. I should embrace your attitude. Most importantly, I'm hungry now. Tomato soup sounds delicious. You should thank your friend for introducing you to such a beautiful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do the same thing when I go to my favorite Chinese restaurant: vegetable fried rice. I haven't embraced a change yet. . .

    And, mac 'n cheese rocks.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, that's the last blog about food. First of all, now I know what I'll make if we ever meet. The world's best mac 'n cheese (sorry, Ray's mom), ever. And tomato soup with grilled cheese is a rainy day favorite of mine. So, bad Ray made me hungry like Su. Only difference is I made a PB'nJ and she probably ate a single pea with maybe a teaspoon of rice on the side.

    Oh, right, your blog. Well, duh!!! I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That whole blog just made us hungry and also made us want M&C, Turkey sandwiches, bacon, chips, tea and tomato soup. You've inspired us to eat more and drive around the block, thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a good thing I've already had lunch! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete