Friday, July 1, 2011

What is Love?

Securely tucked away behind the sternum, between the lungs, is a tough, fibrous piece of tissue that carries a workload like no other muscle or organ in the human body. As if this well-protected location was not secure enough, this muscular organ is forever encased in not one, but two tough, protective sacs. Forever destined to live in darkness, silently working away to ensure every cell in the human body survives. One misstep, one missed assignment, and the temple will topple around it.

I find it very fascinating that the very organ humans have designated as the seat of our emotional soul is as protected and guarded as the spiritual heart. Then again, perhaps the analogies fit perfectly. Both hearts can be damaged, starved, or broken. Both are often taken for granted, only to be overworked or abused other times. Both can ache or cry out for attention and care. Both have been known to be replaced by a cold, sterile, artificial replacement that just goes through the motions but is not truly alive. Both can shut down, never to be heard from again.

There once was a time when people actually believed the heart was the center of the human soul. Today, we know that is not true. However, we have never escaped this belief—instead, we embrace it. With a few creative modifications, we have a beautiful, symmetric symbol that is instantly recognized in almost all cultures as a symbol of love. ♥ So then, this brings me to the questions that have been on my mind lately. What is love? Where does love come from? Why is love so important to some, merely tolerated by many, and ignored, if not shunned by others?

First, I ponder the idea of love itself. What is love? As I write this, the first thing that comes to mind makes me laugh. When I think to myself: what is love? I cannot help but hear the 1993 Haddaway hit song by the same name that was featured so prominently in every Roxbury Guys skit on SNL. Now, you too will have this song on an endless loop in your head as you read this. You're welcome. Hey, a bit of levity can be good for the heart.

In my next few entries, I will be examining these questions, and I welcome any feedback any of you may have on this topic.

8 comments:

  1. Intrigued.
    A friend asked me to post on the same topic. Quite a question, and much to ponder.
    Wod love to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is quite interesting. Who really knows the meaning of love? I'm not any smarter than the others when it comes to this subject. But love is a selfish thing, I've learned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Ray:

    Thought provoking and intriguing. I love the linking of the physical and emotional realms. Keep pondering on it and who knows? Maybe you will be the one who figures it out for the rest of us who are perpetually perplexed by it.

    Peace to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Stacey! Check out my second post on this topic. I still have a few more lined up to post soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Fey1IsleofSkye, if I figure it out, I'll be rich. But I won't forget me supporters who got me there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by Sirra Girl. I can understand what you say, but there are times love has to be unselfish as well. That is part of the complexity of love...how it can be both selfish and unselfish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good topic, Ray. I don't look at your first two posts as "sad", more like trying to understand how something that was once so strong can become so weak, and eventually wither away. But this is never truly the end--you just may be on the precipice of something better.

    I speak about this from experience. . .

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. An age old question...one we frequently ask ourselves. I am spending the rest of the afternoon reading your musings. I can't wait to see what else you've got!

    ReplyDelete