Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Totally Random

Although I have received some wonderful feedback on my first two blog posts, I am going to take a detour for one or two posts.  It seems my random musings on love came across a bit sad.  Although there is an element of sadness to the topic of love, there can be happiness also.  But until I learn to express my thoughts in a more positive manner, I'll blog about something silly instead.  :-)

A few days ago on my way to work, I had a front row seat to one of the funniest things I have seen in a long time.  Real life Angry Birds.  True story.  But, instead of little piggies, the target of the avian anger was a terrified squirrel. 

As I was waiting to make a turn at a stoplight downtown, on the sidewalk across the street I saw a squirrel running toward the intersection.  I should clarify.   This squirrel was not just running, he was fleeing for his life.  I could see the terror in his cute little widened, hazel-colored eyes.  I could see the terror in his frantic pace as he pumped each leg forward at breakneck speed on the curved section of sidewalk approaching the intersection. 

Then, before I could process any of this, I saw the source of his fear.  A bird.  Then another.  Then two more.  Almost instantly, nearly a dozen birds materialized behind this fleeing squirrel.  It was clear the birds were targeting him, as they flew almost in a wedge formation just a few inches above the pavement. 

Suddenly, two of the birds broke formation and dove at the squirrel's back, each delivering a vicious jab with their beak.  As they slid back into formation, a few more took their place delivering the aerial assault. 

Just before reaching the intersection, the squirrel flung himself into a densely-limbed fir tree.  Unable to pursue their target into the prickly cover of needles, the birds, in unison, pulled up hard and fast.  Ascending into a vertical climb, the birds avoided a potentially embarrassing collision. 

As quickly as they came, the birds reversed course and disappeared around the corner. 

Having grown up in the South, I knew exactly what had happened.  Mr. Squirrel had invaded a bird nest,  most likely in an attempt to enjoy a small meal of flightless hatchlings.  In the South, mockingbirds were brutal and fearless in the defense of their nests and their young.  I have been dive-bombed from behind many times simply for straying too close to a nest I never knew existed. 

These birds were mad.  They were upset.  They were Angry Birds.

3 comments:

  1. One word for this post. Ready?

    You sure?

    Okay, here it goes...

    HILARIOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt sorry for the poor squirrel - until I got to the part where he was trying to eat the fledglings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny post! Nature can definitely entertain. :P

    ReplyDelete